Forests in autumn are one of the biggest joys of trail running for many of us. It’s a chance to immerse ourselves in nature’s rapidly changing landscape as we use the trees to hide away from the stresses of life.
That’s why the Forest Runner series of races in the coming months should prove popular. And, so you can make the most of it, we’re giving you the opportunity to win a pair of free entries for the nationwide 5km and 10km events.
Set across 10 beautiful forest locations, everybody who crosses the finish line will receive a goodie bag, and there are also solid oak trophies to be won.
Now sponsored by Merrell and organised in conjunction with Steve Cram’s Events of the North, the challenge is about more than who crosses the line first. It’s about finding inspiration, reconnecting with the natural world and boosting your health and wellbeing by spending time being active in the forest. The mix of terrains and undulations are sure to provide a rest for the joints as well as the mind.
Former world 1500m champion Cram said: “As we all strive for a better lifestyle balance, you would struggle to find a more uplifting experience than running through our nation’s stunning forests. We plan to offer you superb running routes over your preferred distance, at your own pace, in venues that will invigorate you mentally and physically.”
All money raised by the events will go back into the local forests so that Forestry England can continue to grow, shape and care for them for future generations.
Peter Rawlinson, from Forestry England’s Active Forests Programme, said: “It’s been really fantastic for us to see how many people have been enjoying running in the nation’s forests throughout the ups and downs of the past year.
“We have more than 250km of waymarked trails for runners to enjoy, and with Merrell’s support we are delighted to be launching this new event series to deepen people’s connections with the nation’s forests. We aim to inspire future generations to run in the forests for years to come.”
2021 Forest Runner 5k and 10k series dates
■ Westonbirt, The National Arboretum. Sept 12, 4pm
■ Delamere Forest. Sept 19, 9am
■ Bedgebury Pinetum. Sept 26, 9am
■ Salcey Forest. Oct 10, 9am
■ Sherwood Pines Forest. Oct 17, 9am
■ Hamsterley Forest. Oct 24, 9am
■ High Lodge, Thetford Forest. Oct 31, 10am
■ Whinlatter Forest. Nov 7, 9am
■ Cannock Forest. Nov 14, 9am
■ Forest of Dean, Mallards Pike. Nov 28, 9am
Entry to the 5km events cost £20 and the 10km event costs £22.50, plus booking fees. (£2 UK Athletics discount available).
■ To be in with a chance of winning two free tickets for one of the events (availability permitting), enter your name and email address below.
- The prize draw closes at 11.59pm on the 9th October 2021.
- This competition is open to UK residents aged 18 and over.
- There is 1 prize consisting of 2 tickets to either a 5km or 10km at the Forest Runner series (availability permitting).
- The winner will be the entry drawn at random from all valid entries after the closing date and notified by email and has 14 days to respond before an alternative winner is chosen.
- This prize may be offered in a limited number of other promotions.
- No purchase is necessary. To enter for free visit www.trailrunningmag.co.uk/forestrycomp
- Full terms and conditions can be found at www.bauerlegal.co.uk/competition-terms.html
- The prize is provided by Forestry England. We are not responsible for any aspect of the prize, including unsatisfactory quality or late delivery or a prize winner being unable to take up any aspect, or the entirety of the prize due to their own circumstances or restrictions. Prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and no cash alternative will be offered. Competition closes on October 9.